Thursday, April 23, 2009

McCall's 9126 and decisions!

I decided to make one more test dress, this one was based on a McCall's pattern (9126).
I made a muslin of the view shown in the top left. Here is a video of me in the dress.




I'm pretty happy with this dress. It fitted without any changes
to the pattern and I think I really like the back detail. It makes
the whole thing a little less conservative without being too immodest.
The only change I'm thinking about is to take the skirt in so that
it is less full and not wear a petticoat.

I have decided this will almost certainly be the dress I make for
Syracuse and I have the fabric picked and washed too!
Appropriately it is fabric I bought in Syracuse last December
from a wonderful little store downtown that had just opened.

Here is a photo of the fabric (right) and the lining (a super soft cotton)
drying across our entire living room.



And catching the light nicely :-)




I'm also toying with the idea of making the very same pattern for my Sydney
dress, just using different fabric and perhaps keeping the skirt full.

My only other news is that I finally decided not to make the bridesmaid
dresses, it's just one too many things for me to get done and was adding
to my stress levels. I was sad to admit defeat, but I'll come back to making
those dresses for Jane, Em and Rebecca after the wedding.

However, I do still plan to make a little dress for Madeline
(who will be 9 months by September!) to match the dress Jane is
wearing.

The pattern I am planning to use for Madeline's dress is Simplicity 2668.
I will make both the dress in the top left and the coat. Though I'm not
too sure about the bow.



Comments welcome!

3 comments:

Cisa said...

Glad you found me on here and that we can be comrades in this wedding dress making adventure. I'm loving your design! My fabric also came from Thai Silks and I'm just absolutely in love with it. I'll add you and look forward to seeing your progress (which is miles beyond mine at this point)

Sara said...

Hello.

I found your blog because I am attempting the Simplicity 2668 dress A for a friend's baby and am a stuck on one step. I'm a pretty new sewer but I've made a dress before (with help) and thought I could attempt this. I am starting to think I might have been a little over ambitious!

You seem like a much more experienced seamstress so I was wondering if you ended up making this dress and maybe could walk me through the step I'm stuck on. I'm stuck on the facing of the collar of Dress A. I'm on the second half of step 7. I can't seem to make the raw edges of the facing and neck edge fit together. There seems to be more fabric on the neck edge and I am totally stuck. I know I'm doing something wrong. Do you have any advice? If so I would so appreciate it!! My address is durhamseATgmail.com.

THANK YOU!!

Unknown said...

I too am making the dress from Simpilcity 2668. I am also stuck on the facing step. I have sewn it and taken it apart several times and no way seems to make any sense or look anything like the picture. I was hoping to finish today, but I am going crazy. Any suggestions? Beth