Monday, July 6, 2009

Syracuse dress - basted together

My Syracuse dress is now almost sewn together. Most of the seams are finished except I have only basted the bodice to the skirt (which is why it isn't sitting flat). The reason I have left that seam un-done is that I'm thinking about completely re-doing the bodice and wanted some second, third and fourth opinions.

You see, there are two problems, first I didn't leave enough space for a border between the seam allowance and the start of my embroidery, which means the embroidery is right hard up against the edge of the dress. And second, the embroidery is not as symmetrical as it could be. Close up it is pretty obvious. On the one hand, I'm not too keen on re-doing it. That said, enough time has gone into this dress, that the few extra hours to re-do it will be worth it to me if you think it looks funny.
The final remaining option is that I re-do the bodice but completely skip the embroidery. What do you think? PLEASE BE BRUTALLY HONEST!!!





4 comments:

Kerry said...

I would not have noticed any issues with symmetry in the embroidery. And honestly, I don't think it looks bad being flush against the seam allowance. So if it makes you happy to re-embroider, then go for it, but I think it looks OK as it is. If the embroidery were a radically different color with lots of contrast that highlighted any issues it might be worse. But keeping them in the same color palette seems to draw attention away to the not-so-perfect alignment. And I had to go looking on the photo to find the flaws.

Unknown said...

+1 to Kerry's comment

I think the proximity to the edge is fine, unless you are wearing an elaborate necklace, or something like that that will compete with the embroidery.

I saw it in person, and I think it's great.

Cisa said...

I don't think it's too terribly noticible that it's not symmetrical. I actually like it rather flush with the edge. It's a nice look. Good job on the dress overall. It's looking lovely!

Sara said...

I wouldn't have been able to tell about the asymmetry with the embroidery had you not mentioned it. And even now that you've mentioned i can't really see it. I am new at sewing, though...and am not really a perfectionist (which is not always the best thing in sewing). It's a beautiful dress and it fits you nicely. I'm impressed!